Outline of the Japan Luminaires Association
The Association was founded in December 1942 and made a new start as a general incorporated association in April 2012, constituting a body whose members are entrepreneurs and groups manufacturing luminaires.
The Association is a body constituting a national organization in Japan and in terms of its scale, the luminaires manufactured and sold by its members account for a share of 95% or more of Japan's total luminaire production and sales. In its purport to make human life more comfortable and secure through activities designed to diffuse lighting which is indispensable for human activity and life it engages in activities aimed at the diffusion of more environment-friendly and energy-saving products.
Railway Route map
●JR (Yamanote Line, Keihin Touhoku Line)
3 min walk from "North Gate" of Okachimachi Station
1 min walk from "3rd exit" of Naka-okachimachi Station on Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line
5 min walk from Ueno-hirokoji Station on Tokyo Metro Ginza Line
5 min walk from Ueno-okachimachi Station on Toei Subway Oedo Line
Japan Luminaires Association
11-4, Taito 4-chome, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0016
Historical Overview of the Japan Luminaires Association
Foundation of the Japanese Luminaires Industry Union
Reorganized as the Japanese Luminaires Industry Control Union
Foundation of the Japanese Luminaires Association
Publication of the first issue of the Association Bulletin "Lighting"
Establishment of the Japan Luminaires Association (Incorporated juridical person) Approval of the Minister of International Trade and Industry was obtained and it became a Public Corporation)
Establishment of Japan Luminaires Association (General Incorporated Association)
70th Anniversary of the Foundation of the Association
Activities of the Japan Luminaires Association
The Association advocates the use of luminaires in a safer and more comfortable manner and engages in a wide range of activities, including the provision of information for the offering of more environment- friendly and energy-saving products, the establishment of standards and criteria for the diffusion of products featuring higher performance and greater safety, and the approval of luminaires.
In the deployment of its activities with LED having reached practical usability as a light source for lighting and with LED-related business activities having spread internationally in recent years, the Association is, in the deployment of its activities towards realizing the goal of a low-carbon society, not only cooperating with lighting related organizations in Japan but also fosters friendly relations and information exchange with lighting related organization throughout the world.
Diffusion & Education of the Public
Providing of appropriate explanations on products and appropriate information on their use to the general consumer, the media, and relevant organizations
- Preparation of web site
- Preparation and distribution of pamphlets, posters and leaflets
- Exhibiting at exhibitions
- Attending lectures
- Making public in the official gazette
Commitments to the environment
Summing up and support of the industry's activities, including displays indicating measures for energy and resource saving and product design based on environmental measures and environmental assessment.
- Preparation of Industry Association Standards (technical materials, guides, etc.)
- Making public in the official gazette
Displays indicating safety measures related to luminaires and explaining methods of safe use
- Preparation of Industry Association Standards (JIL, technical materials, guides, etc.)
Establishing standards related to luminaires and education the public about them
- Preparation of the original draft of the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards)
- Making of industrial standards (JIL, technical materials, guides, etc.)
- Participation in international standardization activities (IEC, CISPR)
- Participation in reviewing activities related to the relevant laws and regulations
- Featuring in Association bulletins and relevant journals/magazines
Research & Statistics
Systematic sorting out of research studies, analysis and demand forecast related to production and distribution of the luminaires market and assesssment of the trends prevailing in the industry
- Gathering and making public of production status statistics
- Gathering and making public of customs clearance statistics related to export and import
- Independent collection and making public of statistical data
- Making public of demand forecasts
Illumination Day activities
Supporting public information activities and events designed to generate awareness of the importance of lighting by the four lighting related organizations involved in the Illumination Day (October 21) activities
- Preparat ion and dist r ibut ion of PR (publ i c information) materials
- Preparation and distribution of public information materials
- Holding poster contests at elementary schools
- Implementation of roadside PR activities
Escape luminaires certification services
The Association provides services related to the escape luminaires regulated under the Fire Services Act and including the establishment of standards for escape lighting and rescue guide systems, registration of business operators, type certification and issue of certificates, witnessed investigation / inspection of business operators, and execution of procurement tests carried out by the "Escape Luminaires Certification Committee" of "The Japan Electric Association (Incorporated)" being the registration and certification body of the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications.
Independent evaluation services for emergency luminaires
The Association comprising the "Independent Evaluation Committee for Emergency Luminaires" with regard to emergency luminaires that fall within the scope of the emergency lighting apparatuses regulated under the Building Standards Law provides services including the establishment of standards, registration of business operators, type evaluation, witnessed investigation / inspection of business operators, and execution of procurement tests.
Independent evaluation services for Recessed Luminaires (S type)
The Association comprising the "Recessed Luminaires Control Committee" for S-type down lights provides services including the establishment of standards, registration of business operators, registration of products, witnessed investigation/inspection of business operators, and execution of procurement tests.
Luminaires for Public Building Lighting and approval drawings confirmation services
The Association provides the services of establishing standards for luminaires used in public buildings and of confirming whether or not approval drawings conform to the standards.
Investigation and research services for emergency light apparatus
The Association carries out research on the visibility of escape luminaires and investigations and research on maintenance and inspection of emergency light apparatus and standardizes them. It also undertakes diffusion and public information and education activities related to maintenance and upkeep of emergency light apparatus.
Holding of Intenational Lighting Fair
The Japan's largest comprehensive exhibition regarding luminaires is held at Tokyo Big Sight on March in every two years. It introduces comprehensively the lighting products and technologies such as, luminaires, light sources, related materials, parts, and inspection devices sold in outside/inside of Japan.
Promoting International Activities
1. International exchange activities
(1) Cooperation with the world's lighting industry through participation in the Global Lighting Association
(2) Friendly relations promoting activities with the Taiwanese and Chinese industry organizations.
2. Promotion of international standardization
(1) Promoting international mutual certification of LED luminaires through cooperation with the IEA-4E SSL Annex
(2) Information exchange on standardization with the National Lighting Test Center of China (NLTC)
3. Worldwide information collection and diffusion
(1) Holding international symposia and participating in overseas symposium
(2) Exhibiting international lighting expositions and attending them as observer
Information Diffusion Activities
Pamphlets for the different types of lighting have been prepared and are presented in our web site to let you use luminaires safely and to your liking. The luminaires presented here are available for sale and the information given in the pamphlets includes suggestions for correct use of LED lighting, support for renewal of old luminaires, and support for use of distributed multiple-luminaire arrangement in residential lighting.
Guidance for Japan Luminaires Association(PDF:7.4MB)